Regulations on the terms and conditions of membership of Al-Kindi Society of Engineers.
1. The Al-Kindi Society of Engineers welcomes applications from people who have an interest in engineering and technology and who are aged 16 years or over.
2. There are five categories of member:
- Honorary Fellow
3. Submitting a membership application for a specific category does not guarantee membership of this category.
4. The Al-Kindi Society reserves the right to refuse any application for membership.
Code of Ethics and Rules of Conduct
5. All members undertake to abide by the Rules of Conduct and the Code of Ethics adopted by the Al-Kindi Society.
6. Honorary Fellows are elected by the Al-Kindi Society of Engineers’ Management Committee. Honorary Fellows are:
- Persons distinguished by their work in any engineering discipline falling within the objects and purposes of the Al-Kindi Society, or
- Distinguished persons whom the Al-Kindi Society desires to honour for services rendered to the Al-Kindi Society or whose association is of benefit to the Al-Kindi Society.
7. Honorary Fellows shall be entitled to use the designatory letters HonFKSE (Honorary Fellow of the Al-Kindi Society of Engineers).
8. Fellows will have demonstrated significant individual responsibility, sustained achievement, and professionalism in areas relevant to the interests of the Al-Kindi Society to a level required by the Board. Fellows are entitled to use the designatory letters FKSE (Fellow of the Al-Kindi Society of Engineers).
9. Members will have achieved a standard of knowledge, understanding and experience, as required by the Board. Members shall be entitled to use the designatory letters MKSE (Member of the Al-Kindi Society of Engineers).
10. Associates are those who value involvement with the Al-Kindi Society of Engineers but do not meet the requirements for admission as a Member.
11. Student membership is for individuals working towards a career in science, engineering, or technology whether at university, or on an apprenticeship scheme, or otherwise. Post graduate students are not included in this category as they fulfil the requirement for admission as a Member.
12. Members of the Al-Kindi Society of Engineers in the categories Member, Fellow and Honorary Fellow may use the designatory providing they continue to be members and pay their annual membership subscription fees.
13. A member may transfer from their membership category at any time during their membership as long as they meet the criteria of the membership category applied for.
14. Membership subscriptions run for a period of one year payable annually in advance. The Al-Kindi Society operates a system of anniversary billing so a member’s subscription renewal date is determined by the month in which they joined. The Al-Kindi Society does not offer a facility for members to pay by instalments.
15. Membership fees are revised annually, and members will be notified of the fee changes in writing via their subscription renewal notice email. The membership fees are also published on the Al-Kindi website and these are updated to include the following year’s fees to coincide with the delivery of the January renewal notices.
16. Membership subscription payments not received within three months of the due date will result in the membership being considered lapsed and all services will be suspended including any right to designatory letters or to be included in the register of professional members.
17. Reduced rates and discounts on subscription fees are available to members in special circumstances. Full details can be obtained by contacting the secretariat team. The Al-Kindi Society has the right to request proof of eligibility.
18. Persons in any category of membership may resign from the Al-Kindi Society by sending their resignation in writing to the Board.
19. The subscription will be refunded if notification of resignation is received within 90 days of the membership subscription start date. The refund will be made by the following means:
- If payment was made by credit or debit card, the refund will be paid directly to the credit or debit card within 30 days of notification of the resignation being received.
- If payment was made by Direct Debit or Bankers Automated Clearance Service (BACS), the refund will be paid directly to the bank account from which payment was taken within 30 days of notification of the resignation being received.
- If payment was made by PayPal transfer, the refund will be paid directly to the PayPal account from which payment was taken within 30 days of notification of the resignation being received.
- If payment was made by any other means the refund will be made by bank transfer or via PayPal within 30 days of notification of the resignation being received. Refunds by means of cash payments will not possible.
Applications to re-join
20. If a member resigns or allows their membership to lapse and then wishes to re-join, their subscription renewal date will be set as follows:
- If the re-join date is three months of the subscription renewal date the renewal date will remain unchanged. The re-join fee would be the amount owing for the last renewal.
- If the re-join date is more than three months after the subscription renewal date, the renewal date will be reset and the membership subscription will be due for renewal one year from the date the re-join payment was processed.
21. If a registered member resigns or allows their membership to lapse they must re-join within three years to maintain their status as a member with the Al-Kindi Society of Engineers. If the period of non-membership is more than three years the member will have to re-apply for membership and may be required to present their eligibility evidence again.
Refunds for overpayments
25. Refunds for overpayments above £5 will be made automatically within 28 days of the payment being processed.
26. Refunds for overpayments below £5 or its equivalent will be made if requested within 90 days of the overpayment being processed. Refunds will not be repaid automatically due to the disproportionate processing costs and will be treated as a donation to the Al-Kindi Society of Engineers.
Refunds for deceased members
27. Refunds will be paid if the decease of a member takes place within three calendar months of the subscription renewal date. The amount of the refund will be the full amount paid. Claims for a refund can be made up to a maximum of one year after the original payment subscription renewal date. If original payment was made by Direct Debit or credit/debit card then the refund will be made to the bank account/card. For other payment methods and instances where the bank account or card has been closed then a cheque will be issued and made payable to the Estate of the deceased. To make a payment via a method other than those described above we would require an original copy of the Grant of Representation by which the executor/administrator was appointed. Account details into which the refund should be repaid must also be provided.
28. No refund will be granted if the member has gained financial benefit from their membership such as receiving discounted conference fees or publications.
29. The Al-Kindi Society of Engineers aims to serve its members effectively and fairly and member feedback is important. In the event of a complaint or grievance then members are advised to contact the secretariat team by email to email@example.com
30. Where possible the issue will be dealt with immediately. If further investigation is required, then a response will be provided within five working days. If it is not possible to resolve the problem within that time, advice will be given on how long the investigations are likely to take.
31. The Al-Kindi Society of Engineers reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time.